Thursday, August 05, 2010

August Challenges

Besides being my birthday month, August is the Month that I enjoy very much because everyone is on holidays so there is a peaceful environment in Lisbon. What I do not like about is the hot weather, that is why I enjoy more the Winter than the Summer, the cold is so cool, I really love the cold weather and the snow.

Poker is unique
One of the things that make poker a unique game is that combines luck and skill in a very specific form. In the short term luck is going to be predominant but in the long term, skill is going to be constant.

You see, there are games were you cannot play to win or play to lose, the odds are the same no matter what you do. Take roulette, slot machines, some card games or even a very popular game in Portugal the Euro millions.

There is a Friday fever in Lisbon that suddenly when Friday arrives everyone wants to take that big shot on the, (at least), 15 millions. Euro Millions is a long term losing game, you cannot play to win or lose, the odds are always the same and you are giving your money away. Sure, you may be lucky to hit the big prize, but the odds are very, very small ("nano small").

In poker you can play to lose or you can play to win, there is skill involved. Another thing is that you are playing against other players so there isn't the "house" advantage (like happens on blackjack). Sure, there are some "bad beats" or "coolers" but that is the variance of the game, if you play skilful poker you are going to win money in the long term.

Personal Month Challenges

I am always inspired by winning players who make long multitabling sessions with a constant focused mind on the tables. To grind this game out you must really be willing to put your mind and soul at the tables, is takes very, very effort to put that kind of dedication.

My challenge for this month is to play between 125 and 150 games and profiting between $100 and $150. I will also try to have a poker marathon, what I mean is I will try to have a full night playing (like I did on June). If I make this marathon I will inform on twitter during that night, but expect to be in on a Friday or a Saturday night during the month.

Commitment

I do not have the all time of the day to grind the game, but I do have some (at least) 2 hours per day to make the most out of this game. I commit myself to improve my game on one very specific variation in poker, that is the No-Limit Holdem Sit aNd Go (SNG) of one table (Single Table Tournament).

I have seen, felt and realised that hard work really pays-off in many thing in life where skill is involved and poker is no exception. If you review you poker sessions, correct some minor errors or leaks you have and study the game you will see your game improving and that will have a long term positive impact.

No comments: