Sunday, September 02, 2012

Heads Up Hand

This is a hand from a final table at 45 man sit, to decided the 1st place.
We both have the same stack size, about 11 big blinds.

Last hands I was shoving wide on the button and villain was folding much of his hands. When I was out of position, villain min raises but often villain folds when I reraised his minraises.

However, on this hand villain did not min raised his button, he limps and I check. On the flop I have a gutshot to make the straight. Any ace and any six will make my straight, so I have 8 outs on the flop.

According to the 2/4 rule, I have 16% to hit my straight on the next two streets (turn and river). According to pokerstove my equity against a random hand on the flop is 48%. My equity against a big pair like Kings is 33%, against his hand is 41,8%.

You can argue if I should shove this flop but I decided to give him initiative so I check. He bets one big blind of t3000, half pot size and I call.

The turn brings me the nuts, I hit the straight and instead of shoving (I thought that he could fold), I decided to offer him again the initiative and he bets only one big blind again, 1/4 of the pot.
With the nuts (I have the best hand unless he has 63 to a better straight), with t12300 on the pot (almost half of my stack) I shoved here, he calls.

Another reason to shove is that if he was on a flush draw, he probably would call my shove on the turn. Here is the hand:


No comments: